Wednesday, September 26, 2012

People Watching Wednesday

1. Public Places
There are many homeless people wandering around New York City. There is one that lives on a corner right by my office even. I have seen them sleeping, asking for money, and eating a small meal at McDonald's. I have only ever once seen what I wish to never see again. I noticed a man leaning against a wall on the stairs that lead down to the subway. I wasn't quite sure what he was trying to be so secretive about until I saw the drain and heard the sound of flowing liquid. That's right, I saw a man peeing in a public place. I averted my eyes before seeing anymore and hurried on my way. Zach says he has seen that a handful of times. My fingers crossed that it is a once in a life time thing.


2. Train Drivers
There are often announcements about train delays, stops, and public announcements projected through out the entire train. Sometimes the person speaks to soft or they don't enunciate and you hope it wasn't anything important. Well on one particular ride home we had a very loud female announcer. It was a busy time of day and with lots of people trying to get on it prevented the doors from closing. So, to fix this dilemma we all heard "Please stand clear of closing doors! Either get on or get off!" Every other syllable came out in this shrill squeak. So NOT pleasant on the ears. 


3. Repetition, repetition, repetition
On the trains we often get performers. They tend to really like hanging out at non rush hour times from 125th street to 59th because its about 10 minutes of uninterrupted performance time. We have seen hip hop dancers, break dancers, singers, preachers and instrumentalists. Our favorite is a flute player. Imagine the flute Peter Pan plays, yeah, it looks like that. As far as we can tell, he only knows two songs, Scarborough Fair and Sound of Silence. We have come to this conclusion because we have heard him close to 10 times between the two of us and those are the two songs he plays in the same order and style, every time.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments: