Sunday, March 11, 2012

Healthier

 Last Sunday Zach and I decided we were going to try and eat healthier after our weekend full of delicious treats. We had made brownies the past three or four weekends, I had made cookies and we had indulged in way to much sorbet and ice cream. So Monday rolled around and I headed to the store for produce.


We had had lots of salads and chicken and combinations of the two. Instead of reaching for a brownies I would snack on some mango's and cheese and pretzels.  In the mornings I had an egg or two and actually felt fuller longer than the days I had oatmeal for breakfast. When we did have oatmeal we added dried cranberries, apples and bananas instead of brown sugar.


My favorite discovery during this week was noticing what I did and didn't crave. I still craved chocolate but I am not dying for any bit of sugar I can get (and one square of 66% cocoa hit the spot). In fact I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not eating a few desserts. 
My main goal this week was to cut down on my sugar intake, way down. I also wanted to get more greens into my diet, no red meat and eat less carbs. While we did have rice and potatoes I did my best to stay away from the breads. While I slipped a few times during the week (dang fruit snacks and date night) I must say I did well and I am encouraged to keep up my healthy plan.


By the way my produce shopping trip has lasted me this whole week, and will continue into next week, only cost me 13 dollars. I would have been 10 if not for the mangos. I expected it to cost me almost twice as much. I feel like I can never use the excuse that it is more expensive to eat healthier, because its not. 


1 cup brown rice (best if 1 day old) 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
½ cup cooked peas 
½ cup cooked chopped carrot 
1 cup broccoli floret 
¾ cup sliced mushrooms  
1 egg , beaten 
soy sauce , to taste  
(some diced onion) 

Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and sauté mushrooms onions until browned clear.
Remove from heat.
Heat remaining oil in pan and add rice.
Add egg and mix until rice is thoroughly coated with egg.
Cook for 5-10 minutes on high, or until egg is lightly browned.
Combine rice mixture and vegetables in large bowl and stir until vegetables are well mixed.
Add soy sauce to taste and serve.
(I tried using half the oil and it worked out perfectly fine. also I added all of my vegetables sooner to help them cook a little and warm up)  

Hope you are all enjoying this wonderful and warm Sunday! 
(p.s. Its 52 degrees)

No comments: