Wednesday, March 14, 2012

6th Grade

In my senior practicum I have been going to Idaho Falls twice a week to spend all day with a class of 6th graders. It has been a wonderful experience. I was originally placed in Kindergarten but when someone didn't show up to class I got to choose between her spot in 6th grade, or Kindergarten. I really wanted to work with older students although I knew the subject matter would be quite a bit more challenging to teach.
As I expected, it was hard. On the first day as students asked me for help on math problems I realized how much I didn't fully understand. I went home and started reading and creating math lessons. Through practice and help from other students I have been able to become a master of many aspects of mathematics. I can actually teach the sixth graders and ask them how to solve equations and actually know what I am looking for. So basically, I am proficient through a 6th grade math level. I definitely have room to grow.
I have had the opportunity to teach math, music, reading, writing, and P.E. I have been able to teach and interact with 60, 11-12 year olds. These kids are incredible. They teach me things about life, attitudes and subject matter daily. They give me hope for the future.


While Teaching music, I did a unit on music from Zimbabwe. We discussed Zimbabwe's location in Africa, languages, culture, climate and music. I taught them a song called "Mbombera".  It is a song that describes the music of the coal train. I had them create pictures that represented the sounds in the words. We practiced and practiced the song and holding up the pictures at the right time so we could perform it and teach it to a class of 3rd graders. On the backs of the posters were coal train cars so the students could move them to the beat to drive the point home that it is about a train. These were some of my favorite pictures that my 6th graders created.
Next Wednesday will be my last day and I am a bit surprised at how much I will miss these moody pre-teens. They have such fun personalities and love inside jokes and are usually so kind. It has truly been the best experience I could ever have hoped for and will never forget my little Idaho 6th graders or their active, on the ball, tiny, full of energy teacher.
Happy π day everyone!

No comments: