Monday, August 12, 2013

Feeding Frenzie

Here is what not enough people tell expecting mothers: breast feeding is hard!

Breast feeding is not easy, it's a natural thing that is not natural for mother or baby, and it takes a lot of work. Anyone I talked to about the struggles of breastfeeding had a similar story.


Anna had a hard time latching. So we had to teach her how to suck the right way. We did this by putting my finger in her mouth and Zach would syringe feed her milk I had expressed earlier. We would do this and try to breast feed after each syringe feeding to teach her how to latch properly. She would latch on for a few minutes every once in a while but she would never stay on for long and would often get too frustrated to even eat at all.We are getting things figured out and making it work for us, and it looks like latching is starting to happen, but it is not an easy business.


The best part about this feeding routine was her cute eating face. It bears an uncanny resemblance to 'The Scream' by Edward Munich. Or Macaulay Culkin from 'Home Alone' but way cuter of course. 


1 comment:

samrowe3 said...

Well not easy for everyone. :) I am lucky and have never had a problem with my kids breastfeeding.Not with them latching on or anything anyway. I had a different problem and it was not being able to regulate my milk it was always to much to fast. I would get tired of the mess and only breast feed for 6 months.