Wednesday, August 10, 2011

'Lovely Bones' Review


I saw the movie last year. It was one of those you walk out of hating, but knowing that it was really well done. Ya know? It was different, so when I heard it was a book, I felt kind of drawn to it in some weird way. So a year later I made time and read. Well, I read when I had time. Before you read i,t I do have a few recommendations.

#1 Don't stop after the first chapter.
#2 Give your self enough time to read at least the first 3 chapters all in one sitting.
#3 Look for the beauty.

I started reading between calls at work and wow, that was a bad idea. In one shift I was only able to read the first chapter and was thrown into the worst mood. The story is about a girl in the 70's, telling the story of how she was raped and murdered, from her perspective in heaven (or "the in between"). The first chapter sets the stage and describes the whole tragedy. That is why you need to keep reading to avoid the dark feeling you get if you stop there. The book goes on about healing and finding peace which made the whole first part worth reading. It almost feels like you are able to heal and grow as the characters do. SPOILER ALERT: Don't worry, there is justice, if you are like me and need it to feel resolved.

I appreciated the new perspective on life and the after life. It made me so grateful for the knowledge I have of what the after life will in fact be like. (For more on that explore HERE)


So, was it good? Yes.
Was it a thriller? Yes.
I cried.
I laughed.
I read fast as I got nervous.
I grew.

Zach and I have also been reading 'The Hunger Games' series, 'Beauty', and 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. What are you reading?

2 comments:

Grace said...

Oooh the Hunger Games are wonderful!! And I loved Beauty. I'm making Jason listen to me reading it.. :) Post a review of the Hunger Games! I want to see what you think!!

Zach and Sara Allen said...

Haha. Yeah I am re-reading it since i loved it so much from children's lit. Once I finish I will definitely do a review on the hunger games. What did you think of them?