Thursday, August 11, 2011

Guest Blogger: Katherine from Thrifted Things

Remember this lovely lady? Well she is  the blogger of Thrifted Things and I was lucky enough to get her to guest blog today about thrift shopping. I asked her some questions I have had about thrifting and she so willingly shared her secrets.  So with out further adieu, I present you, Katherine. 
1. Do you thrift with a purpose or an open mind?
I usually thrift with an open mind but I usually have things on my mind that I would like to find. Right now those things are salt water sandals and white skinny jeans. Most of the time though, I just go in and dig through everything. I love finding quirky clothes.
2. What do you look for when you shop?
I hit up EVERY department! Women’s, men’s, little boy’s, furniture, mugs, purses, knickknacks, bedding. Seriously, I look everywhere. Clothes are usually my main focus though. I’m always on the hunt for high wasted pants and skirts, dresses, sweaters, blouses, shoes and boots! I’m obsessed with clothes. I seriously should cut back. I’m a thriftaholic..
3. What are good thrift store prices?
I always try to keep it under $6. I always go for “the cheaper, the better” route. I love when Goodwill has its 99 cents days! And Salvation Army always has good sales too. The other day they were having a 50% off sale. Score!
4. What is your favorite thing to find?
Hm, that’s a tough one. I’d probably have to say shoes. I think cute shoes in good condition and ones that fit can be hard to find sometimes. I have like 5 cowboy boots that I thrifted when I was a sophomore in high school before those were super in. Now, when you do find a pair, they’ve jacked the prices up. When I find cute shoes that fit I throw um’ into my cart and buy them. Just the other day I found super cute boat shoes and sandals for cheap! Love when that happens.
5. Why do you go thrift shopping?
I’ve been thrift store shopping since I was 12. It’s just become a part of me (that sounded super deep and lame, but its true). I’m ridiculously frugal. Nothing in my closet is over $20. I cringe at spending over $10 on a single item. I love thee hunt of it all, finding treasures that you couldn’t find in a department store. I love finding clothing that is unique and special.
6. What advice do you have for those new to or intimidated by thrift shopping?
Don’t be scared to try something new or different on. I think thrift store shopping is a good way to discover your style. You can seriously find something from every era in a thrift store. You could try on mom pants and find out they’re the best thing since sliced bread (it happened to me). Plus, shopping at a thrift store will seriously save you some cash! If you go to the right places and go on days when they’re having deals, you will have a pretty cheap wardrobe my friend.

Hope you enjoyed her insight as much as I did. And don't forget to check out her blog at http://thriftedthings.blogspot.com/

Thanks again Katherine!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE Katherine!!! cutest style, unmistakably her own... and Sara, cute blog and gorgeous hair!!!

~selina

Zach and Sara Allen said...

Thank you. Totally cute blog by the way!