Monday, September 28, 2015

The End of an Era




In August of 2014 I wrote about Zach being called as Bishop of the Millckreek 5th Ward. Now over a year later, the week we closed on our house, Zach was released. A year ago I was just sure I would feel relieved and excited to be moving on but I was surprised at the mourning process I went through. We both felt sad walking into church that morning. Relieved, anxious, unreal, and sad. 

The Sunday he was released I was asked to share my testimony. I sobbed most of the way through with a very full heart. I recalled the first time I heard someone pray for the bishop and his family, and how overwhelmed with love and gratitude I felt. I shared how blessed we had been and how this was truly one of the happiest years of my life. I know that happiness comes from service. I was truly heart broken to be leaving this ward. It was the first time I had really felt so deeply connected that I was sad to leave. I walked into the roll as the bishops wife scared, intimidated, weak and insecure and left feeling loved, full, happy, and strong. I know that the Lord will never give us anything we can't handle and I can say, with confidence, that I am grateful for the year we got to spend serving this ward.

What I didn't say over the pulpit was how amazing the couples were that served with us. I truly and sincerely look up to them so much. I was grateful that as Zach's counselors they were so loyal and supportive. They were friends we could turn to, talk to, laugh with, and get advice from. We truly felt strengthened by them. I am selfishly happy that we all moved at the same time to homes that are within 5-15 minutes of each other.

I have enjoyed sitting next to Zach for 2 hours of church each Sunday, having his help with Anna before and during church, getting to see him every night, and now getting to team teach Temple Prep with him in our new ward. The last year has made me very grateful for the time we get to spend together now, before our time gets a little more divided with a 4th member of the family.

No comments: